Job Title: Officer, Instructional Design and Teacher Support
Tanzania – Main – Dar Es Salaam
The Officer, Instructional Design and Teacher Support (IDTS), is part of the Country Office Literacy Program technical team. S/he is responsible for supporting Room to Read’s program design and training curriculum related to grade 1 and 2 literacy instruction, primary grade library management and reading activities. In collaboration with the Global Literacy Team, Officer IDTS is also responsible for providing technical assistance, support and supervision on all aspects of the program design, including professional development to school and Room to Read staff about reading and writing instruction and library management activities. This position will report directly to the IDTS Manager.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Technical and Coordination support
- Support the IDTS manager in the contextualization of Professional Development Materials through translation, review and proof reading of materials.
- Supports, mentor and builds capacity of the Literacy Program Officers on the Instructional Design & Teacher Support, to continue developing their skills in understanding literacy instruction and library management from both a theoretical and practical perspective.
- Provides technical assistance to developing manuals and training modules.
- Collaborates with the Quality Reading Materials (QRM) unit through library visit and document the utilization of materials and ensure reading materials are appropriate and enhance the literacy and library experience.
- Support in the plans for internal conferences and meetings for staff.
- Participates in any other activities, which may be required to be undertaken to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
Program Design, Implementation, Training, and Monitoring
- To collect, collate and analysis of the pedagogical challenges on delivery of lessons and library functionality.
- With guidance from the IDTS Manager, support Room to Read’s approach to teacher and librarian professional support to improve students’ literacy skills and habit of reading, adapted as needed based on research, monitoring and evaluation data.
- Support in the design and conduct of training’s for teachers, librarians, and principals as well as building the capacity of Room to Read staff or partner staff to conduct the training’s.
- Ensures global guidelines are being adhered to and adapted as needed through timely follow up and advise the technical team.
- Support on the researches and recommends improvements to Room to Read literacy program to more efficiently and effectively manage the program in their country.
Planning, Reporting and Documentation
- Participate in the preparations and attend the quarterly review meetings.
- In collaboration with the Field Operations Manager, analyses annual program goals and budgets to ensure alignment with organizational strategies and priorities.
- Collaborates with the Field Operations Manager on developing and providing oversight of the implementation calendar, budget, annual planning, quarterly reporting, and overall tracking of program implementation and spending.
- Prepares and review program reports and responds as necessary to the IDTS Manager.
External Coordination and Networking
- Collaborates with the local government to build support for the program and identify ways to supplement and augment the government curriculum.
- Liaises with other NGOs running similar programs to identify areas of knowledge sharing and possible collaboration in the field while consulting the IDTS Manager
Qualifications and Experience:
- A first degree in Education or a related field of study, or equivalent experience
- A minimum of three years of professional experience
- Experience with reading/literacy or learning improvement programs
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of teaching methodologies, curriculum and teacher training at primary stage
- Experience with library programming (e.g. book leveling, library management, reading/library activities that instill a habit of reading in children).
- Experience developing educational learning materials for students or teachers at the primary stage
- Experience developing and conducting training programs for teachers
- Experience in developing and implementing programmatic improvements
- Strong planning, supervising, and program development skills
- Understanding of monitoring, evaluation, and process documentation
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people and organizations
- Ability and desire to travel frequently to visit school sites
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Experience teaching at the primary stage
- Experience in developing and conducting on-site school support and coaching initiatives for teachers
- Development and use of observation and other monitoring tools and practices to assess progress of primary school interventions
- Effectiveness in working or volunteering in a non-profit organization that is focused on maintaining high quality work and low overhead
- Prior track record of achieving results in a fast-paced, growth-oriented global or regional organization
Location(s)Tanzania – Main – Dar Es Salaam
- To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
- Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled.