The Association of African Higher Educaton Financing Agencies (AAHEFA), is an apex body of Higher Education Financing Agencies with Headquarters in Dar es Salaam.
AAHEFA is an umbrella body of Higher Education Financing Institutions that deal with issuance of loans, bursaries/grants and scholarships to Higher Education students as well as recovery/ collection of the loaned out funds in their respective countries to establish National sustainable revolving funds. AAHEFA was established to enable a collaborative relationship among Africa’s higher education financing agencies by providing a focal forum for sharing of information and experiences on common financing challenges and ultimately increase student access to higher education. Current AAHEFA membership is comprised of Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda, Ghana, Zambia, Uganda, South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi and Namibia with more countries set to join the association as countries continue to establish Semi-Autonomous Government Agencies to manage financing of student loans, a key thrust for AAHEFA. AAHEFA wishes to recruit a suitable candidate to fill the position of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
Reporting to the Governing Council, the CEO will be responsible for the overall management of AAHEFA Secretariat, as provided for under the constitution. The CEO will also be Secretary to the Executive Governing Council and the Governing Council of the Association.
Main Purpose of the Job
To provide strategic direction and ensure AAHEFA’S mandate is realized. The responsibilities include but not limited to the oversight development and implementation of AAHEFA strategic plan; work programmes and operational budget of the Association; Coordinate the Association’s operations; relationship management with all stakeholders, Development Partners and strategic partnerships. The Chief Executive Officer is further responsible for effective resource mobilisation through specific country technical advisory on matters higher education financing.
Key Performance Indicators Execution of the AAHEFA strategy
- Key stakeholder support
- Resource mobilisation
- Acceleration of integration in the African region
- Cost reduction
- Improve stakeholder relations
Key Performance Areas Membership Growth and maintenance
- Strategy and Policy Development
- Stakeholder Management
- Rnancial Management and Reporting
- Governance and Risk Management
- Human Resource Management
- Master’s Degree in Finance, Business related, Law or Economics;Holder of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and Finance, Banking and finance, Economics, Business related, Commerce or Law;
- Professional qualifications in the respective fields will be an added advantage; and
- At least five (5) years’ work experience in a near similar Executive/Management position in a Reputable organization.
- Strategic thinking
- Masterful execution
- Agility in decision making
- Transformational leadership
- Fluency in English with the Ability to speak in French as an added advantage
- Strong ethics and values
- Affinity for digital technology
- Emotional intelligence
- Key Responsibilities Membership Growth and Maintenance
- Maintain the current membership through member engagement
- Grow membership from the current 11 members to 24 African countries by 2025 and the entire of Africa in the long run
- Strategic linkages specific Country Policy drivers to entrench AAHEFAs methodology in student financing
- Enhance members’ value addition through informed research and advisory.
2. Strategy and Policy Development
- Develop and implement the Association’s strategic plan and support the key business objective of the Association.
- Lead the secretariat to monitor and evaluate the Association’s effectiveness and performance, by regularly reporting progress on activities of the Association in line with set objectives.
- Develop policies and strategies for adoption by the Governing Council to proactively entrench student financing agenda through AAHEFA into Africa.
- Report periodically to the General Council on the performance of the Association against set targets.
- Perform additional duties as may be directed by the General Council from time to time.
3. Stakeholder Management
- Develop and maintain effective strategic relationships with key stakeholders including international organisations, cooperation agencies, other development bank associations, university centres, research institutes and Governments of member countries.
- Develop a wide range of strategic relationships and networks internationally particularly with development partners and Institutions of Higher Learning.
- Assume ultimate responsibility and accountability for decision making through liaison with the Executive Council and key stakeholders.
- Represent and act as ambassador of AAHEFA at most senior levels, locally and internationally.
- Forecast on a mid to long-term basis political, social and economic issues likely to affect AAHEFA in a bid to achieve its mandate, lobbies to industry and government and recommends appropriate action to leadership of the host country
4. Financial Management and Reporting
- Ensure strict adherence to prudent financial management principles and reporting in accordance with set international standards.
- Mobilize financial and technical resources for the Association’s activities.
- Plan and implement resource mobilisation activities, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding resources, establishing strategies to approach funding agencies and submission of proposals to the Governing Council for approval.
5. Corporate Governance and Risk Management
- Interacts with the General Council to promote the effectiveness of the Committees and enable informed decisions through provision of accurate information, sound advice and feedback on the structure, objectives, strategies, plans, policies and performance of the Association.
- Ensure governance and risk management structures are developed and implemented by AAHEFA to minimise risks and protect all assets of the Association.
- Implement the day to day administration of the Association.
- Organize Effectively Association’s key activities.
- Organize Effectively the Annual General Meeting and Executive Committee meetings.
- Prepare records of meetings of the Executive Committee and the General Assembly.
- Oversee adherence to set service levels and standards of the Association.
7. Any Other Duties
- Undertakes such and other related duties as directed by the Executive Committee and the General Assembly from time to time
Closing Date for Application: 10th November 2019
Interested candidates should send comprehensive Curriculum Vitae, showing date of birth and nationality, along with a cover letter by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 10th November, 2019.
NOTE: Due to the large number of applications expected, only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
The Association of African Higher Education Financing Agencies (AAHEFA) wishes to recruit a suitable candidate to fill the position of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). Click HERE for details