Position: Tanzania Communication Officer
Location: Arusha & Moshi
The Frankfurt Zoological Society (FZS) is an international conservation NGO based in Germany. FZS is active in biodiversity-rich areas on four continents. The Africa Program includes projects in five focal countries: Ethiopia, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe and the DR Congo. It is coordinated from the Africa Regional Office (ARO) based in Arusha, Tanzania. FZS seeks to improve and strengthen its communication and strategic output by filling the vacancy Tanzania Communication Officer. The position holder supports implementation of the FZS Tanzania Program and its strategy through effective internal and external communications, public relations and branding. The post is based in Aursha, Tanzania and collaborates closely with Project Leaders, the HQ Communications Department in Frankfurt and other members of the Tanzania Program team.
- Developing and managing communications strategies for the Tanzania programme and for individual projects
- Promoting FZS and FZS projects through production of press releases, information materials and reports
- Supporting FZS team members to help them articulate project vision, goals, and capabilities to a wider audience
- Drafting of communications plans, budgets, timelines, and supporting materials in collaboration with Country Director and Project Leaders
- Ensuring FZS communications standards according to FZS Corporate Design and CI are being maintained
- Responsible for all Tanzania related content on FZS websites and social media
- Supporting management to anticipate potential and/or emerging communication challenges
- Acting as a liaison for external communications including responding to local and international media requests, organizing logistics for and hosting media and journalists at project sites, and supporting permitting of photography/filming for FZS purposes
- Supporting the development of fundraising proposals, reports, presentations and 3rd party funding proposals.
- Minimum of 5 years of communications work with increasing responsibility in the conservation sectors
- Very good communication skills, also technically. Excellent knowledge and use of the various communications tools and platforms of a digital world and social media.
- Experience in developing and delivering successful communications strategies
- Proven ability to set short- and long-term goals in line with programme priorities
- Skilled at building consensus and incorporating team input into strategies and communication materials
- Experience in developing a diverse portfolio of materials and content, including press releases, websites, social media, articles, posters, brochures, etc.
- A track record of achieving public relations objectives, Tanzania experience highly desired
- Profound knowledge of photography, video production, websites and working with CMS.
- Articulate and confident oral communication and excellent writing skills in English (additional language skills such as Kiswahili, German or French are an advantage)
- Understands the trends and sensitivities of the conservation sector in Tanzania
A commitment to conservation, and to the mission and vision of FZS
Ability to be flexible, creative, and assume high accountability for all areas of responsibility. Must demonstrate strong collaborative spirit and leadership ability as well as intercultural competence
Contributes to a dynamic and positive organizational culture, and acts as a positive role model for others in the organization
TERMS & BENEFITS
An attractive package based on FZS employment schemes and potentially a long-term position in an internationally recognized conservation organization. The employment contract is initially limited to 2 years with the prospect of extension.
Probation period is 6 months.
Please send your application including a cover letter and a chronological CV in PDF format (one document) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter will be used to judge the quality of your application.
Application deadline is December 15th , 2019.